The work of the Kirk Session is taken forward under the Unitary Constitution by the Kirk Session Council which consists of eight working groups – usually, but not necessarily, headed by an elder.
The leaders of the eight teams, along with the Minister and Session Clerk, meet together as the Kirk Session Council, reporting to the Kirk Session, working collaboratively, sharing information & developments.
Below is a brief description of each group. Please speak to/email the Session Clerk or contact the church office if you would like to discuss possibly contributing to the work of a group.
Kirk Session and Kirk Session Council meetings are open to all; forthcoming dates are published in Kin-nections. The Kirk Session agenda will be available beforehand. Draft minutes of Kirk Session meetings can be requested from the church office.
Kirk Session meets on Monday 6 September. You can view the agenda here.
Administration & Communication Group
Convener: Alice Getley
Members: Alison Brown, Margaret Clark, Gordon McFarlane, Graeme Shaw, Diane Taylor, Maureen Taylor
- offer administrative support to the Minister, office bearers and congregation
- oversee the work of the church office coordinator and office volunteers
- coordinate safe and effective work across all Kinross Parish Church communication activities including Kin-nections (church magazine), social media platforms including website and with the press
- advise and disseminate administrative and communication guidance from the Church of Scotland and other relevant organisations
- provide a caring environment to discover and develop our gifts and abilities
- encourage one another to become effective disciples of Jesus, in our service in church and community
- engage with all ages in lifelong learning, providing opportunities and practical resources
- to Live the Life
Convener: Brian Timms Treasurer: Alan McGhie
Members: Margaret Clark, George Hayton, Emma MacInnes, Rev Alan Reid, Robin Webster
- exercise oversight and governance of the church’s finances and assets
- ensure accurate and transparent financial records are maintained in line with the Church of Scotland and OSCR regulations and best practice
- work collaboratively, engaging with other working groups and the congregation, to support and encourage good stewardship of money
Convener: Rev Alan Reid
Steering Group: Eleanor Baughan, Esther Blackburn, Flora Caldwell, Rowan Harvey, Jenny Masson, Shona Sutherland
Based on contemporary research by the Fuller Youth Institute, Growing Young offers "6 essential strategies any church can use to involve and retain teenagers and young adults" to the benefit of the whole church. This involves asking ourselves hard questions, looking honestly at how and why we do things the way we do.
Convener: Brenda Fraser
Members: Esther Blackburn, Ewan Cathcart, Myra Cathcart, Rev Margaret Michie, Jane Robertson, Ruth Robertson, Tina Shepherd, Alisdair Stewart, Sandra Stewart, Rev Alan Reid (ex-officio), Jaffrey Weir (ex-officio)
- provide opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to discover the Christian faith
- engage the members in taking the Good News of God’s love to the members, the community and the wider world
Outreach Group - Eco-Team (including Fairtrade & Traidcraft)
Co-ordinator: Jim Smith
Members: Gill Boardman, Karena Jarvie, Rev Alan Reid, Christine Reid
- in prayer, worship and conversation we discover what it means to care for God’s creation
- we put that care into action individually, locally, nationally and globally, desiring to live justly in a transformed world
- we commit ourselves to campaigning on urgent threats to the web of life in our vulnerable world
- the congregation is actively involved in supporting FairTrade and charities working in parts of the world impacted by climate change.
Convener: Robert Mitchell
Members: Gill Boardman, Margaret Graham, Sue Packham, George Paterson, Kathleen Weir, Norman White
- organise and oversee the provision of pastoral support (spiritual and/or practical) for members, adherents and to those in the wider community as appropriate by a team of Pastoral Elders and volunteer visitors
- oversee the work of the Visitors and Bereavement Teams, liaising with the Minister and other teams
- assist in co-ordinating the delivery of practical support (eg food tidings, flowers)
- explore the need for developing and expanding pastoral support (eg transport, telephone befriending)
Convener: Stuart Neave
Church Management: Gordon McFarlane, Robert Mitchell, Gordon Paterson, John Webster, Ken Wilkie
Halls Management: Robert Burns, Jean Erskine, Jim Henry, Emma MacInnes, Jim Smith
- maintain and develop church property assets ie church building, Church Centre, manse and grounds
- ensure that premises are safe, available and well-maintained to carry out the aims of Kinross Parish Church and its users
- as an eco-congregation encourage all to reflect and develop this philosophy and approach
- maintain statutory requirements
We are always keen to know about anyone with practical skills for maintenance tasks such as gardening and fixing. If you can help in any way (even on a one-off or occasional basis) we’d love to hear from you.
Convener: Rev Alan Reid
Members: Lynn Caldwell, Alex Cant, Brenda Frier, Irene McFarlane, Rob Packham, Isobel Watt
- support the Minister in the planning of worship and worship styles for Sunday services, services during the week and in the community
- encourage and develop prayer among individuals, groups and as a congregation, giving opportunity for differing styles of prayer times
- facilitate the use of gifts in worship (eg musicians, choir, AV, mics, welcome teams, readers)
- promote awareness of and develop means of access to worship for those with additional needs and those who are not able to be with us in person