The work of the Kirk Session is taken forward under the Unitary Constitution by the Kirk Session Council which consists of seven working groups – usually, but not necessarily, headed by an elder.
The leaders of the seven teams, along with the Minister and Session Clerk, meet together as the Kirk Session Council, reporting to the Kirk Session, working collaboratively, sharing information & developments.
Below is a brief description of each group. Please speak to/email the Session Clerk or contact the church office if you would like to discuss possibly contributing to the work of a group.
Kirk Session and Kirk Session Council meetings are open to all; forthcoming dates are published in Kin-nections. The Kirk Session agenda will be available beforehand. Draft minutes of Kirk Session meetings can be requested from the church office.
Kirk Session meets on Monday 7 November 2022. You can view the Agenda here
Administration & Communication Group
Convener: Alice Getley
Members: Alison Brown, Margaret Clark, Gordon McFarlane, Diane Taylor, Maureen Taylor
- offer administrative support to the Minister, office bearers and congregation
- oversee the work of the church office coordinator and office volunteers
- coordinate safe and effective work across all Kinross Parish Church communication activities including Kin-nections (church magazine), social media platforms including website and with the press
- advise and disseminate administrative and communication guidance from the Church of Scotland and other relevant organisations
Currently being reviewed
- provide a caring environment to discover and develop our gifts and abilities
- encourage one another to become effective disciples of Jesus, in our service in church and community
- engage with all ages in lifelong learning, providing opportunities and practical resources
- to Live the Life
Convener: Brian Timms Treasurer: Alan McGhie
Members: Margaret Clark, George Hayton, Rev Alan Reid, Robin Webster
- exercise oversight and governance of the church’s finances and assets
- ensure accurate and transparent financial records are maintained in line with the Church of Scotland and OSCR regulations and best practice
- work collaboratively, engaging with other working groups and the congregation, to support and encourage good stewardship of money
Convener: Brenda Fraser
Members: Esther Blackburn, Ewan Cathcart, Myra Cathcart, Rev Margaret Michie, Tina Shepherd, Jim Smith, Rev Alan Reid (ex-officio), Jaffrey Weir (ex-officio)
- provide opportunities for people of all ages and backgrounds to discover the Christian faith
- engage the members in taking the Good News of God’s love to the members, the community and the wider world
Outreach Group - Eco-Team (including Fairtrade & Traidcraft)
Co-ordinator: Jim Smith
Members: Gill Boardman, Karena Jarvie, Rev Alan Reid, Christine Reid
- in prayer, worship and conversation we discover what it means to care for God’s creation
- we put that care into action individually, locally, nationally and globally, desiring to live justly in a transformed world
- we commit ourselves to campaigning on urgent threats to the web of life in our vulnerable world
- the congregation is actively involved in supporting FairTrade and charities working in parts of the world impacted by climate change.
Convener: Robert Mitchell
Members: Gill Boardman, Margaret Graham, Sue Packham, Kathleen Weir, Norman White
- organise and oversee the provision of pastoral support (spiritual and/or practical) for members, adherents and to those in the wider community as appropriate by a team of Pastoral Elders and volunteer visitors
- oversee the work of the Visitors and Bereavement Teams, liaising with the Minister and other teams
- assist in co-ordinating the delivery of practical support (eg food tidings, flowers)
- explore the need for developing and expanding pastoral support (eg transport, telephone befriending)
Pastoral Group is looking for new members. The Vistors and Bereavement Teams visit one or two folks regularly or keep in contact with those who have lost a loved one, to let these folks know that the Church has a concern for them. Is this a role for you? Men are currently under-represented in this Group.
Temporary Convener: Jaffrey Weir
Members: Niall Bennet, Robert Burns, Gordon McFarlane, Robert Mitchell, Gordon Paterson (Church Management Convener), Jim Smith (Halls Management Convener), Ken Wilkie, Helen Wilson
- maintain and develop church property assets ie church building, Church Centre, manse and grounds
- ensure that premises are safe, available and well-maintained to carry out the aims of Kinross Parish Church and its users
- as an eco-congregation encourage all to reflect and develop this philosophy and approach
- maintain statutory requirements
Could you help with any aspects of maintaining our Church properties and grounds? From keeping our buildings wind and weather tight to decoration, gardening, putting out the bins, Health & Safety, stewarding of external lets, IT, AV or advice on property? We would love to hear from you. Women are currently under-represented in this group.
Convener: Rev Alan Reid
Members: Lynn Caldwell, David Cairns, Alex Cant, Brenda Frier, Irene McFarlane, Rob Packham, Margaret Sikora, Isobel Watt
- support the Minister in the planning of worship and worship styles for Sunday services, services during the week and in the community
- encourage and develop prayer among individuals, groups and as a congregation, giving opportunity for differing styles of prayer times
- facilitate the use of gifts in worship (eg musicians, choir, AV, mics, welcome teams, readers)
- promote awareness of and develop means of access to worship for those with additional needs and those who are not able to be with us in person